> > As were the - I don't even know the
> > English for it... Those things where one person sat at a board of
> many
> > holes, plugging in many telephone sticks into the holes?.
>
> I don't know what that is.

i think that is a switchboard.  the operators use it to connect the
lines.  now i think it is automated.  i'm not sure what it could be if
it were not that.

i was never trained a shooting by anyone other than my father who had
me shoot a tin cans, and i did this when i was in my 20s.  most of the
sights were off on the old guns we shot, but i hit dead on on most of
them.  i had military training for a day in training for the navy, and
in the final for bootcamp we had to shoot a real 9mm and a fake 12
gauge.  i did really good, even though i missed the class because i had
to stand a watch.  the navy does not train much on hand to hand combat,
so training mostly went to fire fighting. that would make sense because
most of the 4 years you will spend in the navy will be in cramped up
spaces on ships.  fire fighting in those kind of living coniditions is
a must.

from susan in tennessee,u.s.a.