There are (or there were) some plastic bobbins available. I bought a couple in the 1980s, and Pamela Nottingham recommended those sold by Hornsbys in the UK. I've got a few of them and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and wooden ones. Hornsbys are still trading in a much smaller way than they were, and I don't know if they are still selling them. There might be other general suppliers who still sell them. Plastic lace bobbins often come up for sale on ebay.

I think basic wooden bobbins are now cheaper than plastic - plastic being made from oil and oil prices being what they are (petrol in the UK has reached 90 pence a litre - GBP4.50 a gallon).

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK