My Book of ingredients says:

"Nutmeg is the dried seed of the fruit of an evergreen tree native to south-east Asia (Myristica fragrans). The seed has a lacy husk that we call 'mace'. The two are similar in flavour and aroma, but nutmeg grated is used for sweet dishes while mace is used for pickles and savoury dishes. It is a fine distinction but one of ancient usage. Nutmeg is available whole or powdered; mace comes in flakes 'blades' or powdered."

A whole blade of mace is big enough to go around a nutmeg, so about an inch long. Crumbled up it's probably only about 1/4 teaspoonful.

Sharon - I'll send you a scan of the pic of a blade of mace.

Brenda