I've lived in north Kent all my life and although that's not an expression I use I knew immediately what "anything to go to the snob" meant as I read your message. A snob is a shoemaker's last. My Little Oxford dictionary only gives the 'aspiring to social elevation' definition of snob but it does include the shoemaker's model definition of last

Brenda