It's been reported that there's a problem with fuel supplies because of refineries being destroyed by Katrina. 20 oil tanker ships have arrived in the UK to take oil supplies to the USA, when normally this would be the number in a month. I stress that this was reported - haven't checked it.

But I had to laugh when I filled my car with petrol at 93 pence a litre or GBP4.65 per UK gallon (5 litres to our gallon) last night as I would normally, but forgot the discount voucher issued by the supermarket for spending more than a certain amount. The cashier said "You'd have saved GBP1.60 if you had it." "Oh, well, it's not much. What could you buy for 1.60?" said I. "A litre of petrol next week!" was the response of the other cashier.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK