I have just been to Container Store, and while wandering round trying to find what I went for(!) discovered some Faux Suede for lining shelves etc. It is sticky-backed, self-adhesive.

I bought a couple of rolls (one light brown, one dark brown) as they look to me as if they would be wonderful for sticking on the underside of coasters, ornaments etc to protect furniture, instead of the self-adhesive felt I have used in the past.
Sue