At 08:41 AM 11/6/05 -0000, Jean Nathan wrote:

>DH received an email from someone who picked up his details from a e-pal
>site. He replied and, in return, got a message requesting him to fill in a
>form to be on this person's approved list so his emails got through the
>'Earthlink Spam Filter'. Neither of has had this happen before, and, as
>we're ultra-cautious about doing anything which might generate more spam to
>us, wondered if anyone has knowledge of this.

Earthlink does offer whitelisting, but if your DH responded from
the same address that the message was sent to, the e-pal should
have already put him on the whitelist when he sent the message.

And all that's required for the whitelist --- I *think*, I don't use
whitelisting myself, so I haven't read that part of the site --
and can't, now that Earthlink has "improved" its pages to be
unresponsive to people not using the very latest operating system,
(my e-mail address is apt to change Real Soon Now) ---
all that's required for the whitelist is the e-mail address,
which the e-pal already has.  And there's a back-up system which
(if you are using the very latest and buggiest operating system *and*
the worst browser) will allow you to look through the blocked mail
for stuff that you should have whitelisted and didn't.

So either this is bait or the e-pal doesn't want to correspond very much.

Or maybe he can't get through to the Help pages either.

--
Joy Beeson
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/