My knitting bag was made for me by a friend of my mother's back in the 1950s. I don't do a lot of knitting (probably why it's lasted so well) but have been using it recently so got round to taking some measurements. It's a sort of combined bag and apron, and it's not that easy to explain what to do so if anyone wants a diagram please contact me privately.

Take a length of fabric approx 17" by 35" and at one end fold over first 0.25", then 3" and stitch 2 seams across (one about 2.5", the other about 3" from fold) to make a channel for a drawstring.

Measure along about 21", fold over and stitch 2 more seams (again about 2.5" and 3" from fold) to make a channel for a drawstring.

Fold so that the two channels are opposite each other and stitch side seams (do not stitch over channel openings).

You will be left with an end of fabric about 5" long - gather this into a waistband and attach apron ties. Make fabric drawstrings (or use cord) and insert through channel - best to use two so you can pull up from both sides.

Put knitting in bag, fold apron part over, pull drawstrings tight and off you go. When you're ready to knit, open bag, tie apron strings round waist, take out knitting - the yarn stays in the bag so doesn't roll around the floor.

My current project is a lacy shawl with 1-ply cobweb wool which I could finish by the end of the month if I had nothing else to do!

Jean in Glasgow where we had snow yesterday but rain today