Malvery,
I thought the original question asked for the opinion of a USA woman. Last time I looked, Ottawa was in Canada (^_^) Your intrepretation of taking the wind out may be Canadian, but it is not USA. I stand by my sober interpretation of "taking the Mickey"

Betty Ann in Roanoke, Virginia USA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Malvary J Cole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Chat" <lace-chat@arachne.com>
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [lace-chat] I'm wrong!

To me - taking the wind out of someone's sails is not the same as taking the Mickey.

To take the wind out of someone's sails would be like you are having an argument with someone and they expect you throw a punch, but you turn round and walk away - or turn to them and give them a big hug. Something that they really don't expect given the situation at the time.

Both expressions are explained on the page below.

http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/sayingst.htm

While both of them say "to deflate", I wouldn't use them interchangeably.

Malvary in Ottawa where it has been snowing a little, supposed to rain later