"Adults with hobbies that exercise their brains - such as reading, jigsaw puzzles or chess - are 2.50 times less likely to have Alzheimer's disease, while leisure limited to TV watching may increase the risk"

What about those of us who make lace, do jigsaw puzzles, read, knit, sew, try and solve Sudoku puzzles (the coffee break ones can take me a couple of hours!), while watching the TV? Perhaps we'll develop Alzheimer's slowly!

MIL is in the advanced stages of Alzheimers, and I have to admit that she never exercised her brain - was never allowed to by her husband who controlled and decided everything in their lives. Was never allowed a hobby because he wouldn't spend a penny that wasn't necessary and he controlled all the money that came into the household. She would ever have dared say "That's my money." He decided what they ate, what clothes she wore, where and when they were bought and how much they cost - in fact he controlled the whole of her life. The only thing she did, apart from housework, was watch 'Neighbours'. He was annoyed that she couldn't sew to mend things, so they wore clothes which were frayed or had holes in them because he was too tight to throw anything away. He put a lot of money into her name for tax purposes, but she didn't know anything about it. He died very wealthy in August and you wouldn't believe what we threw away when clearly his house - he never threw anything away "That'll be handy one day."

She has no idea she has so much money and GBP600 plus a week is going on keeping her in residential care. There's enough money to keep her for the next sixteen years, but it's not likely that she'll live that long - if you can call it a life, but then I don't think she had a life before she developed Alzheimers. She doesn't even know her husband is dead. She doesn't know my husband or his sister, and spends most of the day asleep.

Fortunately, because of the childhood he had, DH is nothing like his father, who was very critical of the fact that he allowed me "too much freedom".

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK