The following joke comes, appropriately, from Israel :) It came to me in Polish, so, I suppose, it will have "lost something" in translation *twice*....

From: L.T.

I'm travelling on a bus, which is somewhat crowded, but not too much -- I do have a seat. I need to get my ticket clipped, so the best thing to do is pass it on, then have it passed back.

A man is standing next to me. How should I address him? In plural, or singular "you"? Or something more formal? (T's comment: Anglosaxons really miss on that one... <g>) I review the situation:

It's an "express" bus; if the man had not left it at the previous stop, it means he's going to the last stop -- the same as mine... He's travelling with a bouquet of flowers -- obviously, he's visiting a woman.... The flowers are beautiful -- obviously, the woman he's visiting must be beautiful also... In that part of the city, there are only two beautiful women: my wife, and my lover -- obviously, he's not visiting my lover, since that's where *I* am going, by pre-arrangement...

That means he's going to visit my wife... My wife has two lovers -- Waldemar X and Peter Y... Waldemar is out of the country, on a business trip...

I say: "Mr Peter, would you help me get the ticket clipped?"

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/