Dear Friends,
Many thanks for your fascinating replies. They were as I expected. I do
recall hearing "dibs" before but probably only in UK TV series where it
could be readily understood - never in Australian dialect.

Had also never heard the form "bagsy".

NOw I've just been talking with a cousin who wants me to ask all you
knowledgeable folk whether anyone uses the word "gammon". It's not used down
here in Victoria, Australia. However, in Queensland and the Northern
Territory it has remained popular for generations. It really means "untrue!"
"lies!" or even bull-s**t
Thought provoking
David in Ballarat