On Jun 13, 2006, at 10:42, Malvary J Cole wrote:

I'm sure we have all seen dire warnings about using plastics for cooking (and freezing). Have checked out "urban legends", and they say that the warnings are false.

Therefore, this should work well with no harmful effects. Maybe I'll try it when I have house guests (after IOLI) - Tamara are you willing? The kitchen should be up and running again by then!

I'll really *have to* get my ducks in a row and find out how to access my "new! improved!" spam filter (provided by the ISP as past of my contract); I think it's "eating" some of the mail I'm supposed to be getting. I don't know where this Ziploc Omlet *response* is coming from; never got the original message, or not on the list... But I've seen the idea before.

To answer your question... No. N-O. N-O-P-E. NO WAY! I know there's nothing harmful about cooking food wrapped in plastic (the idea is at least 40 yrs old and I never heard of anyone dying) but there's nothing tasty about such food, either. If we're gonna have an omelet, why not cook a huge one and divide it into (wo)man-sized portions, like pizza? Or, if you like boiled food, why not pierogi?

Food cooked in plastic is "dead on arrival", look- and taste-wise; it's worse than from a microwave... And, given the basic ingredients -- eggs, cheese, (often) meats -- the argument that it's healthy doesn't wash, either; the little bit of butter (or, if you insist, oil) used in the frying isn't going to make much diff in the larger scheme of things.

Cooking individual omelets in Ziploc bags is, IMO, an idea that the Ziploc bag manufacturers came up with; they're the only ones who'd benefit if it took off among the public.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/