I have an Empisal Knitting machine - which company was bought out by Brother, I think.

I haven't used it for many many years, though.
However, I do remember that you need to wind the balls of yarn so that they feed from the centre of the ball. I had a special yarn winder come with the machine.

I suppose I must have an instruction book somewhere. I will have a look around.

Found it - and I will scan a couple of pages for you, and email you privately with them as an attachment. They should give you a helping hand anyway, although your machine might be slightly different.
Regards from Liz in Melbourne