After spending a little time with the O.E.D. -- which
involved looking through three separate lenses at once --
I discovered that a "mangle" has always been a contrivance for flattening linen -- at first a box filled with rocks, then various improvements that ended in two cylinders pressing firmly together.

The earlier mangles moved back and forth, leading to "mangle" as a name for a gadget that converts rotary motion into back-and-forth motion, and a figure of speech in which someone running back and forth senselessly was compared to a mangle. (I suspect that the quote quoted was almost the only time this figure was used! But it does indicate that the author expected the reader to have seen a reciprocating mangle in operation.)

The rubber mangle attached to washing machines isn't
mentioned; I never heard it called anything but "wringer"
until this thread.  And the heated mangle was called an
"ironer" -- I had no contact with those, as they were
expensive and something easily done without (people were
*poor* until the roaring seventies; I'm still a little
aghast that Dave and I think that we need a motor vehicle
each even though we are both retired.)

I had heard "mangle" applied to the rotary ironer -- come to
think of it, that is a separate device.  The ironer had one
padded roller that pressed against a curved, heated plate; a
mangle has two cylinders.

Seems strange that the word should hang on in Britain, but
be so unfamiliar here.  Perhaps it's a city-country
difference, rather than a transpondian difference:  the
history of the word mentioned that a woman who owned a
mangle would rent it out to her neighbors, which implies
that it would be too expensive for a farm wife to buy just
for personal use.

There are two theories for mangle as in damage, neither related at all to the laundry machine. One theory is that it a frequentive of "maim" -- which leads me, now and again, to tack "gle" onto various verbs to see whether any of them sound natural. I didn't come up with any, 'cept maybe "snag" -> "snaggle". "Ting" -> "tingle"? "tink" -> tinkle?

The other theory is that "mangle" once meant "melee". Which suggests a relation to "mingle", but if so, the O.E.D. didn't mention it.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/