At 02:50 PM 17/08/2006, you wrote:
David and other helpful folk,
Thanks for the explanations of "footy". I love learning new lingo! \

Well - much as I loathe the game - there is heaps more lingo associated with it if you're interested :) - positions on the field such as ruck, wing, half forward, full forward, fullback, man-on-the-mark, and rover - methods of kicking the ball e.g.: punt kick, drop kick, torpedo punt, marking it - the referee is known as the umpire (called an Ump) and apart from the main one, there are boundary umpires and goal umpires. - the sweater the players wear is called a footy jumper and each has his own number on the back. They also wear footy boots of course. - there are 4 goal posts at each end: a goal has to go between the middle 2, and if the ball goes between the outer 2 on either side it's a point (6 points equal 1 goal)

Michele Hitch
Salinas, California, USA