This is certainly a very interesting thread! When my parents met, which was in Rome, Italy, the Italians didn't quite know what to do with my fathers names, Thurlow Weed. Somehow it became "Carlo Guidi." Some time ago I joined the local Dutch Club (since I'm half Dutch), and joined up in as Thurlow. When I attended my first get-together, I discovered that while I've been in the US my whole life, nearly all the others were more recent arrivals, and they were having trouble either remembering or getting their tongues around "Thurlow." I decided from that point on with the club I would go by my very Dutch middle name of "Berend." Not only did they know what to do with that name and could easily remember it, but it would do my mother proud, as she sometimes complains I don't use that name enough! I'm named Berend after my g-g-g-grandfather Berend Kunst, a famous Dutch poet and portrait painter.