If you request a copy of a birth certificate or similar and it arrives with
a strange spelling of a name, don't presume that it is correct, especially
if you can back it up with other documents.

When we applied for our marriage license, the lady at the desk told my
husband that his future mother-in-laws name was spelt wrong.  He pointed out
to her that his future wife knew how to spell the name and it was indeed
correct.  She still did not believe him and said she would check her
register.  After disappearing for a few minutes, she returned with a very
red face, no apologies, just a marriage license.

A few years later my husband requested a copy of his birth certificate.
When it arrived his christian name, Barrie was spelt wrong... Barry.  When
he informed the Registrar about the mistake he was told that it was indeed
the correct spelling.  After Barrie explained to him that he had been given
this name and this spelling some 40 odd years prior, they agreed to double
check.  Guess what we received in the mail... one correctly spelt Barrie.

Julie from New Zealand