Hello Jane

I haven't checked to see if it is still the case, but on my birth
certificate there is a space where a forename may be added to the
registered name on production of a baptismal certificate or certificate
of naming within 12 months of the registration.

I can't say I've ever seen a
certificate where a name has been added, though.

Not sure if it still applies, birth certificate format was totally changed in 1969. I suspect it does though because of the Church of England's position as the Established Church.

In the 18 months or thereabouts that I've been doing indexing of old birth registers I've only seen two entries with a baptismal name added in the last column - and one of those the father/informant was a vicar. I could almost see the steam coming out of his ears as he refused to use any name for the baby BEFORE she was baptized!

The public don't normally get to see the actual registers, if you want to see what they look like go to
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/famhistory/famhistory.htm
There are five entries on each page laid out in the same format as a scanned Southport certificate.

Mistakes do happen when copies are produced - on the copy I have of my
great parents' marriage certificate, the profession of the bride's
father is shown as waitress!

I've got a collection of dodgy certificates! ranging from minor spelling variations to the marriage certificate for a wedding that didn't happen. One day I'll get around to putting something about that onto the family history section of my website.

Brenda
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/