I forgot to post this to chat.

Mention was made over on Lace of a "lace" CD produced by Alan and Barry for cardmakers and scapbookers, and how good it looked. I've got it and from a technical point of view and a lacemaker's point of view I think it's rubbish (purely my own opinion). So I'm raffling it (or as I put it on Lace "I decided to unload it on one of you").

Seems these two bought a copy of a book (can't remember which) from the UK Lace Guild and then got permission from the Guild to make this CD. Only thing is, they not only acknowledge that the Lace Guild gave them permission to use the images, but are now selling it on their web site as a "Lace Guild" CD. I've been in touch with the Guild and they're going to stop that. Contrary to the impression they give on their web site, it isn't a Lace Guild publication, it's being sold by and for the profit of Alan and Barry, they just had permission from the Guild to use the images - the Lace Guild is getting something out of it, but I don't know what.

It's a very simple program of the type that was around for Windows back in the 80s. You choose the image you want in negative (black on white), top right,. Below that you decide on the size, colour of "lace", colour of background and whether you want one image or multiple on the page, which results in an impression of what it will look like, but no detail because of the size on screen, then you print.

The lace images have been converted to black and white (not greyscale) bmp format, which means they're flat and have lost their detail - more like a paper doily than a piece of lace. There are videos on the disk which look as if they've been made with a handheld camcorder in someone's living room - Introduction, projects video and project gallery. There's also half an A4 page of instructions on how to use it.

Only use I found for the program was to put my own black and white line drawings in it to quickly change the colour, background and size. Don't do that often and it's no longer on my computer. For my cardmaking, I prefer to use lace images from out-of-copyright books from the digital archive site and do what I want with them so they still look like lace.

So far only 8 people have entered the raffle (shows what a good job of rubbishing it I've done - I've been told I forgot to say how wonderful it is!), but if anyone else wants to enter, please email me privately be midnight GMT tomorrow, Friday 8th September. I draw the winner Saturday morning.

Apparently cardmakers love it. As a cardmaker AND lacemaker, I don't. I have other papercrafting CDs which I think are much better. Someone else might like it very much - don't see the point of saying it's wonderful only to have the raffle winner disappointed.

For those new to Arachne raffles, it's free to enter, I send anywhere in the world and I pay all expenses.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK