Dear Dora,
I have several editions of BH&G cook books (I used to collect them), and can't find any "cloves - the spice" used. But then who knows what they mean - I am missing the1953 edition.

I never make a recipe exactly as the "test cooks" say we should. The "cloves-the spice" won't hurt the taste, and I'd also put a clove or two of garlic in it. Tomato screams for garlic anyway. I grow regular and elephant garlic and put it in almost everything.

When in doubt, use both. LOL. Think I'll try it with both on Wednesday dinner. I did a pork loin today and will have left-overs tomorrow.

Betty Ann Rice in Roanoke, Virginia USA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dora Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In the following recipe, I am learning that the meaning of the word clove is
not clear.   Does it refer to cloves, or to cloves of garlic?

The recipe is that for Spanish-rice Skillet, on p 174 of the current
loose-leaf edition of the 1953 Better Homes and GArdens New Cook Book.

Recipe calls for 4 whole cloves, then says to remove them after cookign
along with the bay leaf.

4 slices bacon
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 coup chopped green pepper
2 10 1/2 or 11 ounce cans condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup water
4 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt

Cut bacon in small pieces; fry until crisp in heavy skillet; remove bacon.

Cook onion and green pepper in bacon fat until golden.  Add remaining
ingredients; cover tightly and cook slowly 50 minutes.  Stir occasionally.

Remove cloves and bay leaf; sprinkle crisp bacon over top.  Makes 5 to 6
servings.

Apparently some older recipes actually tell you to put in a clove of garlic,
whole, and remove after cooking, and noone has ever heard of cloves in
spanish rice.