What a treat to get 2 digests in one day.

But my take on the Archaic Saying is that the "M" sound of muddy is intended (working toward "mother") -- just a little surprised that we are talking about "pitch" instead of "fish" as that would seem to supply the invective not suitable for the ears of Gentle Spiders or mouths of staunch Presbyterians.

Another way was to reverse (or almost) syllables; "matko boska!" (oh, Mother of God!), became "batko moska".

Susan Webster
in Ohio where its a lot colder than we expect for spring.