Whether it happened to be spelled che or chi, in this case it means "than" - medieval spelling isn't always exact.

At 6:03 PM -0400 4/8/07, Thurlow Weed wrote:
 Spiders,

I forwarded this business to my mother, whose Italian is "meno moso"
(more or less still there -- she and my late father used to speak a lot
of Italian; it was the only other language they shared that I couldn't
understand.  Very useful for "adult speak" not for children).

She informs me this is 16th century Italian, and that a few hundred years
have somewhat changed the language a bit.  She had to cheat with her
dictionary a little it to refresh her memory here and there, and attempt
to account for changes in the language, but here is her synopsis; I hope
this helps.  It's actually starting to make some sense now (I think!):

Opera = work;
non = not,no;
men = (it could mean an abbreviation for meno = less);
bella = nice, beautiful;
chi = who, he who;
utile = (a) useful, practical, or (n.m.) profit, gain;
& neccesaria = and necessary;
et non piu veduta in luce = no longer seen in the light
luce = light, brightness, aperture, splendour.

the "chi utile" has me puzzled, since utile is an adjective or noun, not
a verb.

Thurlow in Lancaster OH
Heavy snow yesterday, flurries today.  Why am I collecting Easter eggs in
the snow?