Bev wrote:

< Bad idea. I was saying yes to credit applications, by mail and telephone (forgot to give them my e-mail , that was a good idea).

I try to give the minimum information so if, for instance to access some web sites, I have to give an email address or to recveive something I need to give a phone number, I have four alias email addresses - two with hotmail and two with yahoo (useful if you want to rant without giving your real identity) - and use my mobile (cellphone) number because that's only switched on when I go out. If anyone calls when it's switched off, it displays how many calls have been missed and I can check the numbers and delete the notices. As DH is the only person who has my mobile number, any missed calls are almost certainly not ones I wish to receive. Can't see the point of texting, and it's not very often that I need to make or receive a phone call in the street or in a shop.

I thnk I've already recounted my best unsolicited call:

Solicitor: "Hi I'm Mandy, and calling on behalf of "someorganisationIhaveabsolutelynointerestin".
Me: "Hang on a minute" and put the receiver down beside the phone.
Got on with cooking dinner and checked the phone after ten minutes - she'd hung up.
Phone rings.
Solicitor: "Hello, it's Mandy again. We seem to have been cut off."
Me: "No we weren't - I just wanted to waste your time instead of you wasting mine. Hold on." and put the receiver down beside the phone. Got on with what I was doing and checked the phone after ten minutes - she'd hung up.
Phone rings.
Mandy screams: "You're pathetic!!!
Me: "I think you're the pathetic one for bothering to ring me to tell me I'm pathetic. And besides that, at least I've got a proper job." I hung up.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK