On Sep 5, 2007, at 19:08, Carolyn Hastings wrote:

I found out one thing the hard way: if you are already a customer, a company
can phone you (legally) for mass marketing purposes.

That's why I said the do-not-call registry is only half-effective. Charities and politcians are also exempt from the ban. As are, of course, scammers, who do not have to obey any rules or laws at all :)

Now I won't be a Verizon customer, and I hope they will
have to stop the phone solicitations.

Not for the next two years or more. It's not just current customers they're allowed to pester; it's the past ones as well (who knows, maybe you'll change your mind, just to get some relief <g>)

As for Verizon specifically. My landline is not with them but my cell-phone is. My cell-phone is turned off most of the time (I only turn it on when I intend to make a call or expect one), so they couldn't bug me that way. Then I got a couple of calls, purporting to be from them, on my landline.

The calls smelled a bit fishy to me (asking for all kinds of info -- like Social Security number -- which I do not give to people who call me; offering a free phone, etc), so I went to the local Verizon franchise to talk about that. And they confirmed that the calls had, in all likelihood, been scams, bent on identity theft. They said Verizon Wireless representatives might call me to upgrade my plan, etc (at no cost to me, since it's Verizon-to-Verizon), but they were not allowed to call on the landline, only on the cell-phone.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/