On Dec 13, 2007, at 20:10, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I can understand the manger bit but can anyone enlighten me as to the significance of the coffin shape?

"Coffin" as in "box" (container). Another word of the same origin and the same basic meaning is still used today -- coffer. Both, apparently, come from the Greek word for "basket" (according to my Oxford Concise)
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/