It's the middle of the night and I can't sleep, so I
decided to share a favorite family recipe.  This was
created by my mother about 50 years ago and has been
made by various family members every year since.

Chocolate Applesauce Fruitcake

In a large mixing bowl, sift:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons powdered baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves

Make a hole in the middle of the pile of dry
ingredients. pour in:
1 16-ounce can (or 1-1/2 cups) applesauce

Make a hole in the middle of the applesauce and put
in:
1 egg

Start mixing by beating egg briefly then mix egg with
applesauce.  Then mix everything until all dry
ingredients are moist.

Gently fold in optional additions of your choice --
about one cup total:
chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
black raisins
golden raisins
currants
candied fruits
maraschino cherries
chopped dried apricots or other fruits

Last option -- stir in 1/4 cup brandy or sherry (I use
apricot or cherry brandy)

LAST -- stir in 1 tablespoon oil

Put in pans of your choice (not greased).  Decorate
tops with nut halves and/or maraschino cherries.

Bake at 350 degrees.

Entire recipe in a bundt pan takes one hour.
Two bread loaf pans, check at 30 minutes.
5-inch loaf pans, check at 20 minutes.

Let cool briefly, then remove from pans to cool on
rack.  When cool, wrap in plastic wrap to keep moist.
Store in refrigerator.  Freezes well.

Note:  Makes a good chocolate cake without optional
items.

Dried raisins and other fruits are better if plumped.
Put in a pan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and let set 10 minutes.  Drain well.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Alice in Oregon -- where I painted holly leaves on my
new red cast in honor of the season, and plan to make
this recipe later today (with one hand)