As the list is quiet at the moment, I will take the opportunity to pick the
brains of all you genealogy experts and historians!

I have a lot of family members on my tree who were born in the 1800s in
villages around Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, etc.  These are
simple, country folk with the men often being farm labourers and the like.
Anyway, there are a significant numbers (over 30) of marriages in London and I
am wondering why this would have been?  For example, you have person A born in
village X, marries B also born in X.  They go to London and get married then
come back and their children are all born in or around X.  The districts of
London involved vary (St Pancras, Lambeth, Holborn, to name but a few).  Can
any of you shed any light on why they would have married in this way?  A lot of
the villages would have had rail links with London but still.  Also, would one
or both have had to move there for several weeks to meet the residency criteria
- they would hardly have had the money for a special license, surely - or was
there some sort of way round that?

Any answers would be much appreciated :-)

Regards, Helen (in Vancouver, BC where the earlier snow has now washed away)