What brand do you have? I have a Borner (plastic with metal blades --
definitely one of the cheap models) and I love it. They all work
pretty much the same way. You must be zealous about using the hand
guard because any mandoline can give you really nasty cuts. I use mine
mainly for slicing or julienning vegetables.

Avital