Okay, I couldn't resist getting replying to this!

I now live on the west coast of Canada but before that I lived in Portsmouth on
the south coast of England.  When I used to work just outside Portsmouth, I
cycled there but suffered several accidents of one sort or another and was
happy not to have to do that any more once I could afford a car.  My last job
was mostly in New Malden in Surrey (near Wimbledon) which was a 65 mile drive.
If I was on the road by 5:30 in the morning, I could do the trip in 45 minutes
door-to-door as it was mostly motorway or dual carriageway (and no, I may not
have stuck to the speed limit!)  If I left much later, it could take up to 4
hours.  Driving home on a Friday afternoon in the summer was a nightmare with
all the traffic heading for the coast, even using 'rat runs' around Hindhead
(the main slow area by the time I left).  Until my job required me to work a
lot of extra hours, there used to be a group of 4 of us who would commute -
someone to talk to when you are stationary in a queue of tr
 affic!

A lot of people use public transport in the big cities but outside it just
isn't available a lot of the time.  Growing up on the border of
Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire, we had no bus service to our county
town (Bedford - where I used to play hockey) or my school town (we had a
special school bus) or most other places.  There were a couple of buses to
Cambridge if you were willing to walk to the main road to get to it.  Now, my
recently widowed mother, living in the same village, doesn't even have that
level of service with public transport.  There are no buses to the nearest
railway station and the nearest taxi (and I would dread to think how much they
would charge) is 5 miles away.  I can't comment on all areas but the ones I am
familiar with (and nearly all my family members live in rural areas scattered
around the UK) have very poor or non-existent public transport available.  My
first summer job was in Cambridge and I went in each day by bus.  Though it was
 nly 15 miles usually, the trip would take over an hour as the bus wended its
way around all the intermediate villages.  Still, it was my only option at that
time.

People here in the Vancouver area talk about heavy traffic but I have never
seen anything close to the traffic jams in England.  Looking at a map and
measuring distances is one thing, looking at what the roads are like and where
the route takes you is another.  Then you have to add how many people are
trying to use the same route and the differences between England and North
America become apparent.  Here in North America I have had occasion to work
(and commute) in Massachusetts, California, British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario
and Quebec and I have yet to witness anything like the traffic conditions in
the UK (I worked in Edinburgh for a while as well).  The 'grid system' in
bigger towns and cities here also help getting through them as there tend to be
alternative routes if there is an accident or something.

One other comment - a US gallon is smaller than an imperial gallon.  That
doesn't mean that prices over here aren't a lot lower (and even more so in the
US) but it is another factor to consider.  Ever since I came here in 1997, it
has worked out fairly accurately that I pay roughly the same price number-wise
for petrol/gas as family members back in the UK, just with a different currency
sign in front!

As I said, I couldn't resist :-)

Helen.