Liz, you are so lucky. I absolutely love opals. I've got a ring, earrings, and bar brooch all with small green opals, which I bought for myself, but very much regret that, when my grandmother died in the 1980s, no-one knew what the large (about half an inch by three quarters of an inch) iridescent black/blue/green gems were in a necklace she had and it was put in the "junk to be thrown away" bag. Thanks to TV programmes like "The Antiques Road Show", we now know that there's a very valuable (probably antique) opal necklace in the bottom of a landfill somewhere.

Add to that my MIL law asking what my lace bobbins were and telling me that her father had thrown out a lot of those along with a "cushion with straw sticking out" when his wife died - they had belonged to her great aunt - and I get quite miserable at times.

As for travelling in the UK, last night I had a look at Google Earth after a story about a bull mastif dog being seen from space. It isn't actually visible from space - Google confirmed that the lower images are taken from planes several kilometres above the area being filmed. I entered my home street and the street of where my lace class is held and asked for directions. Reckons it's 7.7 miles and should take 20 minutes, but that doesn't take account of time being held up in traffic queues or being stopped by red traffic lights. And the extra 0.7 of a mile is because the start point was halfway along the road and I live near one end. Then I pressed play and "flew" fairly slowly along the route. Felt quite queasy at the end because of all the turns, but really interesting.

Now that means I've got the other features of Google Earth to explore in addition to exploring Lace R-XP (my copy of Ruth's book on Lace R-XP arrived yesterday - another really good job Ruth). When will the housework get done?????

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK