On Aug 15, 2008, at 21:51, Helen Clarke wrote:

Hi,

I am hoping that you wonderful people can help with identifying a book for me. A relative of mine (by marriage) grew up in Holland having been born there in 1946. She remembers reading a book as a child and can't remember the title/author/whatever. She thinks it was about a boy in a lift and the lift didn't stop when it reached the top floor so the boy had adventures as a result. Can anyone help at all?

Cannot help with the title or the author but... As a child (I was born in '49) I saw a *film* where this very thing -- elevator cabin going past the building's roof and straight into the sky, resulting in all kinds of fascinating adventures -- happened.

Perhaps *that* will jog someone's memory? I'm pretty sure it was a bit later than such children's classics of "my time" as The Red Balloon (Ballon rouge, France 1956) or, in Poland anyway, "The Little Donkey of Magdana" (USSR, 1956) and some Italian ones of the same period. I think I must have been around 10 when I saw it...
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/