Patty wrote:

<A stone is 20 US pounds.  I was taught by some Catholic religious
brothers in high school and Brother Samuel reported that he had
gained some weight to his mother in a letter, but had used American
weights, i.e. pounds and she was practically hysterical when she
thought he had gained 10 stone! (200 pounds!)>

So how many US ounces in a US pound?

I know that in the UK a stone is 14 pounds and there are 16 dry ounces in a pound. Also there are 100 US pounds in a hundredweight and in the UK 112 pounds in a hundredweight.

The UK there are 20 fluid ounces in a pint and gallon is 8 pints.
In the US there are 16 fluid ounces in a pint, and a US gallon is roughly 4 fifths of a UK one.

Even teaspoon and cups measurements are different, and this can cause no end of problems cooking with a US recipe in the UK. Fortunately all my kitchen measuring equipment has both measurements on.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK