Depends on the type of arthritis you have and how you react to it.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and Hand Eze gloves make my hands worse. I have splints supplied by my hospital, but they are only useful to support my wrists. Because they, and the Hand Eze gloves, make my hands heat up, they both make them more painful. I can't wear the splints for long.

If any of my finger, hand or wrist joints are swollen and painful, then I don't make lace or do anything else which puts a strain on them. If I'm really determined to make lace, I lift and move the bobbins slowly by their spangles, which I do anyway. That's the most therapeutic method for me, and can even stop or quiet down very minor flare-ups.

I find is to make small movements when doing anything without putting a strain on joints is best - that's what I've been advised to do by my occupational therapist anyway. So typing on the computer helps.

Keeping my hands in one position is the worse thing I can do, so operating a mouse or holding a book is something I don't do for long. Tatting is impossible, as my hand get painful within a very few minutes and I can't move my fingers for some time afterwards.

It's a case of finding what works for you.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK