I check any numbers I don't recognise on this site:

http://www.whocalled.us/

I receive several calls a month from a number that has been identified on this
site as a scam collection agency.People have reported that the callers are
usually trying to collect hundreds of dollars of unpaid magazine subsciptions
but promising to cut some slack if they're sent half the unpaid amount, which
varies from call to call, as does the originating number and state where it's
located!
I've also gotten calls from D.R. and Indonesia. Since these calls have been
coming on my cell phone, which I don't usually carry with me around the house,
and I usually don't have the ringer turned on anyway, I haven't answered these
calls, but will check the numbers out every few days.