In a message dated 11/26/2008 10:54:15 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

A gift  card limits the
recipient to a particular place, which may or may not be  to his/her
taste. If you don't know what to get a person, best send a  check;
greenbacks can be spent *anywhere*.

I agree entirely. A gift card is a gift to a specific store, not so much  the
recipient. I believe they also gave the statistic that 27% of gift cards are
not redeemed. I don't consider cash crass, but another alternative,
especially, say for other adults, is a Visa gift card which gives you a wide
range of
stores to spend it in. We bought some for the young people in the  family and
some of the administrative people at my husband's work who extended
themselves to help him organize a recent conference. We bought them at our
bank.

Devon

AOL.com.