Tamara wrote:

<Brought with me from Poland scales which weigh in grams and
kilos, every thermometer in the house has both Celsius and Fahrenheit, >

The UK always used imperial measurements - inches, feet yards, miles - and temperatures in Fahrenheit. The EU has tried to impose metric measurements on us, but we've resisted certain changes so we use a combination of both metric and imperial, which can be rather bizarre.

For a long time wood was sold in imperial widths, but metric lengths. So you would by a 3.04 metre (10 feet) length of 2 inch by 2 inch. Now it's all metric.

We buy petrol by the litre, but travel by the mile.

Milk is sold by both the litre and pint. I think beer (don't drink alcohol) is sold by the pint.

Now the EU has said we can keep our imperial measurements - the government wanted to keep them for sales to the USA.

The one rather silly combination we use is Celsius and Fahrenheit for temperature - we tend to quote high environmental temperatures in Fahrenheit and low ones in Celsius, probably because it sounds hotter in Fahrenheit and colder in Celsius. I never could get the hang of how much of a fever someone had if their temperature was over 37 degrees Celsius - much easier to judge from 98.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Like you, both the environmental thermometers we have at home show both Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK