Whilst I agree with most of what Joy says, if the finished size really matters you need to make a tension square, the same as you would for knitting.

If you Google crochet hook conversion you'll find lots of charts including
http://www.vintage-crafts-patterns-designs.com/crochet-hook.html
same if you want to find knitting needle conversion charts.

Brenda