Thank you so much for all the help. I don't want to mess about doing sample
squares. I printed off the conversion charts some of you sent me links to,
many  thanks. The problem is they are all Metric, Canadian and USA. My hooks
are
over  60 years old and are imperial. So I think I will treat myself to some
new hooks.  Bye the way Brenda's Threads for Lace has been great sorting out
the
threads on  my old crochet patterns to find modern equivalents. Perhaps it
should be called  threads for anything! Best wishes, Vivienne