Clay wrote:

<Dusty Springfield came along a little later...  I'm thinking that there
were precious few female artists during these years, but one of them was
Connie Francis.>

Connie Francis started with "Who's sorry now?" in 1958, Dusty Springfield
started singing in 1958 with the Lana Sisters, then sang with her brother and
another chap as 'The Springfields' around 1960 and then started her solo
career in 1963 with "I only want to be with you." Brenda Lee was another
female singer in the early 60s.

I left school at 16 in 1959 and got married in 1962. Until the year before I
left school, it was school uniform only and certainly no make-up of any kind -
my father would have put my head under a running tap if I dared to wear
make-up then. I was sporting the black eyelids before we got married, but
after I'd left school. Connie Francis had a dress with a white skirt and a
bodice of large black and white, large gingham. I made all my own clothes then
and was very proud of my copy of that dress, as I was of the dresses of other
female singer that I copied. I'd met my husband-to-be in 1958 and we used to
go jiving at a local hall, where my pop-singer dresses were much admired.

I also had the bouffant hair (well back-combed and lacquered) and the
essential 3 inch wide black elastic belt with the metal clip fastening - 3
'dots' fitting into 3 rings, if I remember correctly.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK