Linda wrote:

<My husband suggests that in the U.K. you would have a claim under the
"Sale of Goods Act", which operates even if the item is out of its
guarantee period and covers "goods not of merchantable quality". >

I used to teach this under the Consumer Law bit of Business Studies, and we did try. As they are not acknowledging that, in the UK, this is a known fault, it didn't influence them.

DH said that he will just dump it and, along with others he knows with the problem, tell everyone he can what the problem is, what the response has been from Canon UK and that he will never buy another Canon camera again. That's all he can do.

He is very happy with the Fuji he bought after the Canon, the Olympus he bought before the Canon and which is still his favourite, and the Sony point-and-click that he bought a few months ago. And yes, he does use them all.

Jean in Poole, Dorset.