I too was thinking seersucker or piqué, but seersucker is lines of 'bubbles' achieved through tension variation in one direction (warp I think) and true piqué is a heavy ribbed effect fabric.

I remember making a summer dress in the '60s from an embossed cotton. The effect was rather like you get with the little machines you can get for embossing paper for cardmaking etc, but on the industrial scale it's two rollers; a 'male' roller with a raised pattern and a 'female' roller with a matching indented pattern. Probably the rollers are heated; some synthetic fabrics can be permanently heat set.

Brenda

She mentioned a cotton fabric that we had summer dresses made from which had raised oval or round "blisters" all over it. Neither of us could remember what it was called. Anyone remember it and what it was called?

Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/