My shortbread recipe is always asked for but people think I must have missed
something out because theirs is never the same.  I used a scale, not cup
measurements so my 9, 6, 3 ratio never works out correctly in cups. I make mine
into two rounds about 1/2" thick, cut into 8 pie shapes before baking, and I
flute the edges with finger and thumb, 3 on each piece, prick the top with a
fork, 3 times on each piece, and recut it again as they cool.  I also bake at
325 deg and two rounds probably take a little longer than the cookies below.
If the dough does not come together easily (depends on the butter), add a tiny
bit more butter.

Martha Stewart had an Irish cook on today and her recipe is like mine except
she used a food mixer and I do the Cuisinart cause I don't have a mixer.  You
can see the recipe at link below.  The video will be available later.  Anyway,
she gives the amounts of sugar and flour in cups and it probably is what I use.

Shortbread
1 cup unsalted Butter
½ cup + 1 tablespoon Sugar
2-1/2 cups All purpose Flour
Cream butter and sugar in mixer, gradually add flour. Chill. Flour for rolling.
1/8 inch for cookies 2-1/4 inch round cutter, makes 24+
300 deg 20 – 25 minutes

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/irish-butter-shortbread
  Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
www.jblace.com
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org