Ok, now I understand, but have never seen it done.  Both my grandmother and
Mom had the washers like you describe.  I don't remember 'tongs', Mom had a
piece (24") of broomstick handle to lift the pieces out of the hot water.  She
did have the convenience of hot and cold running water that Dad had provided
at the washer station.  She just needed a short piece of hose to fill the
tubs.
We are certainly lucky with what we have today.  And this reminds me I need to
do a load or 2 today.

Lorri
   boiling up the copper

  Boiling up the copper isn't an Aussie phrase - my mum and my gran both did
  that. In my case, a large copper tub with a gas ring underneath. Filled with
  water by bucket from the top, but emptied through a small tap at the base a
  bucket-full at a time. Detergent was added and  the gas provided the heat to
  boil the clothes in the water - before the days of washing machines. They
  had a pair of wooden tongs to lift the washing out of the water.

  I fact, I had a pair of those tongs to lift the washing out of my first
  washing machine which had to be filled with hot water and detergent. All the
  electrical power did was to rotate the impeller backwards and forwards to
  swish the washing. I lifted the washing out of the tub into the jaws of the
  rollers of the small mangle that was attached to it, which was also
  electrically powered. Then into the bath to rinse with cold water before
  mangling again and hanging out on the washing line.

  No wonder DH says I don't do the washing nowadays - the washer/dryer does.
  He's right in saying that all I do is load it and unload it.

  Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK