On Apr 13, 2010, at 4:31 PM, Helen Bell wrote:

> I learnt my
> penmanship with a fountain pen (cartridge sort by then) in primary school,

You baby, you :) I learnt to write with a  "dip" pen -- a steel nib inserted
into a wooden pen handle (and count your blessings that you don't have to trim
a feather). Throughout grades 2 and 3 there was a raging battle between the
parents and the teachers to let us use the fountain pens (the kind where the
ink supply was sucked from the inkwell into a rubber bulb; no cartridges). And
we were only allowed those (in grade 4) because, by then, all the teachers'
energies were directed towards repelling the evil invention of the ball-pen...

Good times, good times :)

> I also remember the old wringer machine we had.

Until I was 12, we had three wringer machines (and three washing machines): my
Mother, our live-in "help" and myself.  At that, we were far better off than my
aunts in *rural* Poland, where there was no electricity *or* running water, so
not just laundry but a simple Saturday bath took heroic efforts to achieve...

Yours, T (with a new! improved (not much)! 'puter to fight. I found out where
the signature "lives", but the procedure necessary to engage it is different
than before and nowhere near as simple. Pox on all technology, even Macs.)