I remember those too! The writng was always bluish, and we did "huff" the fumes!!

But the machine we printed our newsletters on was something more "modern". It actually had black ink. The drum of the machine had a pad that was saturated (from within) with a thick ink. The "stencil" was clipped onto the machine and then the drum was rotated several times to prime it. After a couple of rotations, the backing paper was peeled off, and the printing began. It was possible to save a stencil by re-applying the backing to the stencil before removing it.

Clay