In message <000001cadc10$2ab7b370$80271a...@com>, Helen Bell <he...@access-experts.com> writes

Thank you Jane, you just replugged the hole with the name in my memory - the
Roneo :-)

Only now with Jean mentioning Banda, I'm wondering whether the Roneo at the hospital was another type of stencil machine - whichever, it's method of inking was different to the Gestetner, and I didn't need to wear an overall to use it!

I can remember using pencil then dip-pen at junior school (age 7-11), and having a fountain pen at Grammar School - the first I had was the lever type that we kept our own bottle of ink for, then we moved onto cartridge pens as they came into fashion. As with others, biro was only allowed for rough notes. My shorthand pen (bought when I went to college) requires you to dip the nib into the bottle, and then turn the section at the other end of the barrel to draw the ink up, not sure how that works. My main problem was that I held the pen on a slant, and had to have special nibs otherwise they didn't last long!

Mom had an old Barlock typewriter, dating back to the 1920s, that we used at home. For my 18th birthday, she and Dad bought me an Imperial portable manual typewriter (I've still got it!) and eventually I bought a Smith Corona electronic. After years of working with electric typewriters, the salesman tried to sell me a Brother machine that was on special offer - it's output speed was about one word a month, there was no way I was going to buy that, it would have driven me bananas!
--
Jane Partridge