I've raised this collar before.  Previously I wanted to know the when.

Now I know the when, and the who; I want to know the how.   It looks
crocheted.  Was this collar crocheted, or was there another way it could
have been made?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~villandra/Tabitha.html

It probably was made in the mid 1850's and could not have been made later
than 1868.   The child bride was married in 1852 at age 14, and would have
been 22 by 1860, and the woman was non compos mentis by 1868, so I think
probably both photos were taken in the mid 1850's.

I'm not sure whether prosperous farm families in New England would have been
crocheting in that time.  It seems not to have come into much use before the
1840's.  It looks hand made; I doubt that anyone would have made that item
for commercial sale out of plain heavy yarn.

I found photos of much nicer crocheted dress collars online from the mid
1850's.   But the web sites kept trying to download viruses, so I gave up.
Virus scan is still running 18 hours later.

Please no debate about who or what the girl was - that topic has been beaten
to death.

Yours,
Villandra

Yours,