For cooking Christmas puddings, and for reheating on Christmas day, use a
slow cooker if you have one.  I know a lot of people now use a microwave to
reheat them but the extra steaming cooking time improves the flavour AND you
can reheat over and over until it is all eaten.  If you do it in a microwave
it tends to toughen it.  Yes you can also fry slices in butter, that's good
too.

As for eating it all year.  No.  If you are only just making the puddings
now, then they will be excellent for eating next Christmas.  And the ones you
are making next autumn for the following year etc.  They will still be good
this year, but even better next.  Just recover with a clean circle of
greaseproof on the pudding, and a new greaseproof or foil lid, and store
somewhere dry.

If anyone is interested, for this or next year, I use a Jocelyn Dimbleby
recipe which is very easy to do, has no sugar or flour in it so it is light in
texture (but not on taste) and which only makes one large and one small
pudding.  It will keep for the year, but is also good freshly made.  I have two
of her Sainsburys books from ages ago (early 80s?), one for Christmas and
one for Seasonal cooking.  I had made the pudding out of one for years, then
as I was making the puddings a few years ago, I thought "I don't remember it
being this easy to do", and afterwards realised I was using the other book.
 I now stick with that one.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire