"Sue Babbs wrote You can also microwave individual portions and add sauce. Delicious!"

but why microwave it if you can fry it!

I just got Mrs. Beeton of the shelf and while she gives equivalents for everything else she doesn't give the measurement for a wine glass, but it does give the equivalent for gill. 1 gill equals 5 fluid ounces (or 8 British Standard tablespoons which are larger than US measuring spoons).

I checked out the 3 recipes for Christmas pudding but they all have sugar in them to lesser or greater degree. The one with the wineglass of brandy has 1 lb of soft brown sugar the other two only have 4 oz of soft brown sugar.

I was smiling when I read one of them which has 4 oz of shelled Brazil nuts. Interesting that they have to specify 'shelled'. Almonds I can understand saying 'peeled'. I can remember as a kidlet helping mum peeling almonds for a cake that she used to make every year that had circles and circles of almonds on the top until the top was entirely covered. She'd put the almonds in hot water and leave them to soak for a few minutes then you had to put your hand in the hot, hot water and catch an almond then then gently sqeeze it until the nut popped out. The popping was the fun bit because you weren't always sure where they'd go!

Malvary in Ottawa where we have some snow, but I think the UK might have more than us. My nephew and his wife have recently moved to Guildford and she had cleared their drive and was waiting for the snowplough to go by so she could clean off the pile. We thought she might have a long wait.